I missed the summer solstice this year, worn out by all the activities made possible by that day.
Also, I’m old.
In a perfect world, we’d have celebrated with reckless abandon, dancing around a roaring fire and toasting the moon.
In my world, I jammied up in daylight, tucked myself in, watched a little Cutthroat Kitchen and fell asleep.
I woke up panicked a little that I had missed all the fun. I mean, we wait all year for this season and I’d slept through the best hours of its longest day.
So, with the painful realization that each day going forward will be shorter than the last, (and reasonable accommodation for my advanced years) here are 10 things I vow to do before summer ends:
1) Pick a fresh berry and eat it right there in the field.
2) Ride a roller coaster.
3) Swim in a lake.
4) Sit on a lawn chair and watch the sun set.
5) Take a flashlight hike through the woods.
6) Spend the day at Summerfest.
7) Watch an outdoor movie.
8) Play a little driveway basketball.
9) Roast something in a campfire that isn’t a marshmallow.
10) Host a picnic lunch
Whose with me?